CWG Scam: CBI to quiz Kalmadi
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), probing the alleged financial irregularities in the conduct of the recently concluded Commonwealth Games (CWG), is likely to quiz Organising Committee (OC) chief Suresh Kalmadi here today.
According to sources, the CBI has prepared a comprehensive questionnaire with a series of questions to interrogate the CWG OC boss.
CBI sleuths had earlier raided the house of Kalmadi and recovered clinching evidence including a letter and a damaged CD that, sources say, contain details of key dealings linked to the organisation of the Delhi Games.
CBI officials also visited the OC office on Monday and questioned some officials there.
Reports suggested that the officials have seized certain documents related to Queen’s Baton Relay held in London and other contracts carried out with various firms.
They said the CBI sleuths have sought clarification on the grant of contracts by the OC and alleged misappropriation of funds.
The move assumes significance amid reports of some crucial Games-related files going missing from the Committee office.
However, when contacted a CBI official termed the visit as routine.
CBI sources said that key documents which could throw light on Commonwealth Games deals have gone missing and feared that they could have been destroyed or hidden.
They said the files contain information on tendering, budgetary allocation and contract details among others.
The agency has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one case is related to a Rs 107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score keeping firm, the CBI had registered two other FIRs in connection with the contract given to AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London.
Yesterday evening, Kalmadi said he had not yet heard from the CBI so far.
"I am yet to hear from the CBI. As and when I am informed, I will be available. I am extending full cooperation to all investigating agencies," Kalmadi had told reporters.