CWG to project India as sporting nation
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Tuesday
said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a
catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate
the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a
sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small
villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting
events," she in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that
a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural
background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle
in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today