CWG to project India as sporting nation
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Tuesday
said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a
catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate
the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a
sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small
villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting
events," she in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that
a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural
background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle
in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged