CWG to project India as sporting nation
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Tuesday
said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a
catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate
the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a
sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small
villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting
events," she in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that
a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural
background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle
in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena