Cycling: Wiggins keeps California lead as Chaves wins stage
Former Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins retained the Tour of California overall lead on Friday as Colombia`s Esteban Chaves won the sixth stage from Santa Clarita to Mountain High.
Wiggins, who took the lead with a triumph in the second stage individual time trial on Monday, finished fifth in the toughest stage of the race and extended his overall lead to 30 seconds going into the final two stages this weekend.
Orica rider Chavez powered solo to win the 152-kilometer stage that ended in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles in a time of 4 hours 9 minutes 13 seconds.
On a day when temperatures again soared into the upper 30s Celsius (near 100 Fahrenheit), the Colombian climber attacked from a small group in the last five kilometers of the final ascent, putting some room between himself and David de la Cruz of Spain and American Tom Danielson.
De la Cruz finished second, 13 seconds back, and Danielson was third, 41 seconds adrift.
Briton Adam Yates was fourth, 53 seconds back, with Wiggins fifth in the same time.
"Surprisingly, I was pretty comfortable with four kilometers to go," Wiggins said. "Then the altitude kicked in."
He had enough left, however, to hold off his nearest rival in the overall classification, Australian Rohan Dennis.
Garmin`s Dennis finished seventh, 55 seconds off the lead to surrender two seconds to Wiggins overall.
"We had Tommy D off the front, so we were watching what Sky was doing," Dennis said.
"Hopefully, they were riding hard and they would just blow up like they did on Diablo. But it wasn`t quite as steady an uphill, there was some downhill to recover. When we got to the last kilometer I don`t think I`ve pedaled like that for awhile."
The race continues Saturday with a 143-kilometer stage from Santa Clarita to Pasadena that features two significant climbs, with the final stretch all downhill.
The tour concludes on Sunday in Thousand Oaks, in rolling countryside west of Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof