Cyprus pole vault champ dead at 23
Nicosia: Cypriot pole vaulter Marianna Zachariadi, a Commonwealth Games silver medallist, died at the age of 23 on Monday after a battle with cancer, doctors said.
Zachariadi, who was born in Greece, was diagnosed with Hodgkin`s lymphoma in 2011 and her condition worsened in the past few of months.
She slipped into a coma last week at Attiko Hospital in Greece, and doctors confirmed she had died on Monday morning.
In October 2010, she lept to silver at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, repeating a feat at the Mediterranean Games in Italy a year earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan