Cyprus pole vault champ dead at 23
Nicosia: Cypriot pole vaulter Marianna Zachariadi, a Commonwealth Games silver medallist, died at the age of 23 on Monday after a battle with cancer, doctors said.
Zachariadi, who was born in Greece, was diagnosed with Hodgkin`s lymphoma in 2011 and her condition worsened in the past few of months.
She slipped into a coma last week at Attiko Hospital in Greece, and doctors confirmed she had died on Monday morning.
In October 2010, she lept to silver at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, repeating a feat at the Mediterranean Games in Italy a year earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof