Cyprus pole vault champ dead at 23
Nicosia: Cypriot pole vaulter Marianna Zachariadi, a Commonwealth Games silver medallist, died at the age of 23 on Monday after a battle with cancer, doctors said.
Zachariadi, who was born in Greece, was diagnosed with Hodgkin`s lymphoma in 2011 and her condition worsened in the past few of months.
She slipped into a coma last week at Attiko Hospital in Greece, and doctors confirmed she had died on Monday morning.
In October 2010, she lept to silver at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, repeating a feat at the Mediterranean Games in Italy a year earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- British MP murder suspect to be tried in November
- Bill for indirect election of mayors passed by Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Jat stir: Haryana to provide 100 percent rebate in property tax
- China brushes off doubts over support on South China Sea, says it is growing
- Do you know why coconuts are offered to deities in temples?