Dates revised but IBF President absent at trials
Patiala: His unavailability was cited as the official reason for postponing the boxing trials for the upcoming World Championships but even on revised dates, IBF President Abhishek Matoria has ended up being absent due to his political commitments.
A BJP MLA from Nahor, Rajasthan, Matoria has been kept busy by the state assembly session, making him unavailable for the trials that began here on Tuesday.
"I wanted to come but since the the dates of these trials clash with that of the Rajasthan Assembly session, I would not be able to attend the trials," Matoria said.
The trials were initially scheduled on August 16 and 17 but were postponed with the Federation citing Matoria`s schedule as a primary reason.
The Indian Boxing Federation (IBF), currently under provisional suspension, had stated that since Matoria wanted to attend the trials, the dates were revised to August 27-29 to ensure his presence. But ultimately a revised schedule also could not bring the president here.
However, IBF Secretary Rajesh Bhandari has turned up to have a look at the trial bouts.
The 30-year-old Matoria became one of the youngest administrators in Indian sports when he was elected the IBF President in September last year. But that election ended up creating a furore when the International Boxing Association (AIBA) provisionally suspended the the Indian body for "possible manipulation" in polls.
The IBF has been fighting to get the suspension lifted for close to a year now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya
- JNU rape case: Accused Anmol Ratan to be produced before court today