Deepika, Atanu, Dola emerge champions
Jamshedpur: Ace archers Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das of Steel Plant Sports Board (SPSB) and Dola Banerjee of Railway Sport Promotion Board (RSPB) won the top place in the 1st and 2nd elimination round of the ongoing 2nd National Ranking Archery Tournament (NRAT) at the JRD Tata Sports Complex on Saturday.
In the Men’s section, Rahul Banerjee (RSPB), Olympians Jayanta Talukdar (SPSB), Tarundeep Rai (SSCB) and Mangal Singh Champia (RSPB) suffered defeats in the 1st and 2nd elimination round.
While Banerjee lost to Gurucharan Besra (Bihar) 6-4 in the 1st elimination round in the quarter-final stage and was outplayed by Atanu Das 6-2 in the 2nd elimination round, Talukdar lost to Das in the final stage of 1st elimination round 2-6 and against Thepuvoyi Swuro (Nagaland) 6-0 in the 2nd elimination round.
Das, who won the Bronze in the 1st elimination round, bounced back in the 2nd elimination round to grab the gold defeating M R Tirkey of Bihar in the final 6-0, while Atul Verma finished at third place beating Rajib Basumatary (SSCB) in the shoot-out.
In the women’s section, Deepika Kumari and Dola Banerjee performed consistently and remained in the top slots of the 1st and 2nd elimination rounds.
World cup champion Deepika, who skipped the last month’s Asian Grand prix tournament at Bangkok due to her intermediate examination, brushed aside Bombayla Devi 6-2 in the final of the 1st elimination round before she locked in close contest with Dola in the final of the 2nd elimination round.
18-year-old Deepika emerged champion in a shootout after both the archers scored 5-5 in the final.
Rimil Buriuly (RSPB), who lost to Seema (UP) in the quarter-final state of the 1st elimination round 2-6, finished third in the 2nd elimination round defeating Gunjan Kumari (SPSB) 6-2.
Dola Banerjee defeated Seema 6-2 to clinch 3rd place in the 1st elimination round.
In the compound section, top ranked C. Srither and Ch.Jignas (both SSCB) suffered loss in the 1st elimination round as Rajat Chouhan (Rajasthan) won the gold, defeating Ritul Chaterjee of Andhra Pradesh 144-141 points.
While Srither lost to Ramakanta Sharma (Manipur) in the pre-quarter final stage of the 1st elimination round, Jignas went down to Amit Kumar Guri (MP) 138-142.
Top ranked Srither put its act together to avenge the loss and defeated Sharma in the pre-quarter final stage of the 2nd elimination round before he lost to I Sanatomba Singh (J&K) in close contest 142-143.
Chouhan impressed the crowd with his consistent performance winning the top slot in both the elimination rounds.
Chouhan came better off Kh Ratan Singh (SSCB) in the shootout after both the archers locked in an identical score of 146 in the final of 2nd elimination round.
L Haridas (SSCB) bagged the third place defeating Sanatomba Singh146-144.
The women`s section of compound event witnessed P. Lily Chanu (Manipur) and Trishna Deb (Punjab) winning the top slot of 1st and 2nd elimination round respectively.
Chanu defeated Madhumita Kumari (Jharkhand) in the final of the 1st elimination round 138-137 while Deb outplayed Sakro Besra (RSPB) in the final of the 2nd elimination round 143-135.
International archer Manjudha Soy (RSPB) had a close contest against team-mate Gangandeep Kaur before she emerged winner 143-142 in the 2nd elimination round for the third place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey