Deepika eyeing double gold in Archery World Cup
Kolkata: Deepika Kumari kept herself in line for a double gold feat including one with Jayanta Talukdar, even as the other Indians came a cropper in Archery World Cup Stage-I in Shanghai.
According to information received here, there was another ray of hope in the compound women`s team event where the trio of Trisha Deb, Gagandeep Kaur and Lily Chanu P today entered the bronze play-off.
Earlier, 19-year-old Deepika ousted Beijing Olympics gold medalist Hyun-Jung Joo 7-3 to storm into the recurve women`s individual final yesterday.
In pursuit of her second individual World Cup gold after 2002, Deepika will face another Beijing gold medalist Ok-Hee Yun in the final.
The former world No 1 Indian archer then partnered Jayanta Talukdar to beat the Mexican duo of Aida Roman and Juan Rene Serrano in the semifinal of the recurve mixed team.
Deepika-Talukdar will face the US duo of Khatuna Lorig and Brady Ellison in the final. The recurve finals will be held Sunday, while medal-deciding events in the compound section are scheduled tomorrow.
Two-time Olympian Dola Banerjee failed in her comeback tournament as she finished a disappointing 17th in the individual event while the recurve women`s and men`s teams were knocked out in the quarters.
Dola`s younger brother Rahul finished an identical 17th in the individual event as Deepika and Talukdar`s splendid performance brought some joy in the Indian camp.
Ranchi girl Deepika put up a consistent show as the world No 3 rallied to beat Anastasia Pavlova of Ukraine 6-4 before showing the door to 2008 Olympic gold medalist Joo 7-3 in the semi-final.
In the mixed team event, Deepika-Talukdar got past Australia 143-135, Japan 145-143 and Mexico 146-140 en route to the final.
India also have a bronze medal hope in the compound women`s team event where they will face Italy in the playoff on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family