Deepika eyeing gold in Archery World Cup Final
Kolkata: India`s teenage archery prodigy Deepika Kumari on Sunday stormed into her third straight gold medal match in the World Cup Final with a come-from-behind victory over Olympic silver medalist Ajejandra Valencia in Paris.
The 19-year-old Indian bounced back overcame a two-set deficit to oust Valencia.
According to information received here, Deepika who had returned with silver in 2010 and 2011 World Cup Finals, shot a 9 closer to the centre to edge past the Mexican in the shoot-off to make the summit clash.
In the pulsating semifinal, Deepika, down 0-4, made a stunning comeback and shot three perfect 10s to tie 5-5 and take the match to the shoot-off.
Deepika had faced the same opponent in the quarters of the 2011 World Cup Final where the Ranchi girl had won 6-4.
In the final later tonight, Deepika will face the winner of the match between Ok Hee Yun of Korea and Yuanyuan Cui of China.
This was Deepika`s fourth successive World Cup Final appearance.
After fifth-place finish in 2010, Deepika clinched silver medals in both 2011 and 2012.
In the nailbiting last four, Valencia got the better of Deepika in the first set with 27 points to 26.
Deepika continued to struggle as two poor 8s and a 9 compared to Valencia`s 10-9-8 meant the Indian tralied 0-4 after the second set.
But Deepika was not ready to give up as she bounced back to shoot two perfect 10s en route to a win in the third set to make it 2-4.
The fourth set ended up in a tie as Valencia led 5-3.
In a must-win fourth set, Deepika shot three perfect 10s to make it 5-5 before taking the match to the shootoff.
In the quarters, the Ranchi girl ousted another Olympic silver medalist Aida Roman who had finished second in the London Games team event along with Valencia.
Earlier in the morning session, Deepika was pitted against Aida who had qualified for the first time for the World Cup Final.
The duo were locked 28-28 after the first set as Deepika started with a poor 8 before getting into the rhythm with two perfect 10s.
In the second, Aida shot first but had two 9s, against only one to Deepika for a 3-1 lead.
Aida shot the first arrow in the third set out of the gold ring to open the door for Deepika as the Indian shot two 9s en route to a 5-1 lead.
Deepika clinched the issue in the fourth set outscoring her opponent 28-26 to set up a battle with another Mexican Valencia in the last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum