Deepika in line for three gold at World Cup
Kolkata: Ace archer Deepika Kumari kept herself in line for a hat-trick of gold medals as India made it to the summit clash in four categories, including the compound section, at the World Cup Stage III in Ogden, USA.
India also remains in contention for a bronze medal as the men`s recurve team of Jayanta Talukdar, Thupuvoyi Swuro and Viswash take on Ukraine for a third place play-off.
17-year-old Deepika, who has already qualified for London Olympics, got the better of Ukrainian Kateryn Palekha en route to the individual recurve final before helping the team, which has Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro as other members, into the summit clash.
But the most satisfying result came in the compound section where the women`s team of Jhano Hansdah, Gagandeep Kaur and Manjudha Soy stunned their French opponents to become the first Indian women`s team to reach the World Cup finals.
The trio of Hansdah, Kaur and Soy logged a total of 2029 points to finish second in the qualification.
The team easily went past Mexico 230-221 in the first round of eight, while in the semifinals they thrashed France to set up a tough final against the hosts who topped the qualification round.
Deepika, who had made it to the final in the mixed pair event alongside Jayanta Talukdar, beat Kateryn Palekha 6-4 in the semifinals.
The teenager from Ranchi earlier defeated Yutin Fang of China 6-5 in the individual section. She will face Chinese Ming Cheng for the individual women`s recurve gold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch