Deepika Kumari crashes out of Archery World Cup
Kolkata: It was a disappointing day for the Indians at the Archery World Cup Stage 3 as ace archer Deepika Kumari made a quarterfinal exit, while others failed to progress beyond pre-quarterfinal stage at Medellin, Colombia.
According to information received here, Deepika proved to be no match for her US opponent
Miranda Leek, who shot the X-ring twice en route to an easy 6-2 victory in the recurve individual section.
The 20-year-old US Olympian then upset third seed Yuanyuan Cui of China 6-5 in a nerve-wracking battle to make the final.
India will now hope to open their account in the team and mixed events lined up later in the day.
Seeded seventh, Deepika was the sole Indian to have advanced to the quarterfinal stage of the competition after notching up easy wins against Regina Maria Romero of Guatemala 6-0 and Denmark`s Carina Christiansen 6-4.
But eighth seeded Laishram Bombayla Devi bowed out of the event after going down to eventual finalist Inna Stepanova of Russia 6-2 in the pre-quarterfinals.
In the men`s recurve section, Atanu Das and Tarundeep Rai also faltered in the pre-quarterfinals.
While Rai lost to former world number one Brady Ellison of the US, Das went down against Jianping Zhang of China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea