Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title
Kolkata: India`s Olympic prospect Deepika Kumari won her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal today at Antalya, Turkey.
She beat Korea`s Lee Sung Jin by six set points to four in the final of the Stage 2 of the championship. According to information, teenager Deepika won the second set (29-27), third (27-26) and the fifth (28-27) while losing the first (27-30) and the fourth (27-29).
Deepika, who has already qualified for London Olympics, is the current junior world champion and a gold medallist at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. She had also won the Cadet World Title in 2009. Archery Association of India chief and Indian Olympic Association acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra congratulated Deepika on her win today.
"Beating a Korea in the final is a great achievement. It`s another feather in her cap. I hope she does well in the Olympics," Malhotra told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach