Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title
Kolkata: India`s Olympic prospect Deepika Kumari won her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal today at Antalya, Turkey.
She beat Korea`s Lee Sung Jin by six set points to four in the final of the Stage 2 of the championship. According to information, teenager Deepika won the second set (29-27), third (27-26) and the fifth (28-27) while losing the first (27-30) and the fourth (27-29).
Deepika, who has already qualified for London Olympics, is the current junior world champion and a gold medallist at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. She had also won the Cadet World Title in 2009. Archery Association of India chief and Indian Olympic Association acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra congratulated Deepika on her win today.
"Beating a Korea in the final is a great achievement. It`s another feather in her cap. I hope she does well in the Olympics," Malhotra told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur