Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title
Kolkata: India`s Olympic prospect Deepika Kumari won her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal today at Antalya, Turkey.
She beat Korea`s Lee Sung Jin by six set points to four in the final of the Stage 2 of the championship. According to information, teenager Deepika won the second set (29-27), third (27-26) and the fifth (28-27) while losing the first (27-30) and the fourth (27-29).
Deepika, who has already qualified for London Olympics, is the current junior world champion and a gold medallist at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. She had also won the Cadet World Title in 2009. Archery Association of India chief and Indian Olympic Association acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra congratulated Deepika on her win today.
"Beating a Korea in the final is a great achievement. It`s another feather in her cap. I hope she does well in the Olympics," Malhotra told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured