Deepika Pallikal loses in Texas Open final
Houston (USA): Deepika Pallikal stumbled on the final hurdle against Egyptian teenager Nour El Sherbini in the title clash of the Women`s Champion Fiberglass Texas Open on Saturday.
Eyeing maiden major title of her career, world No 12 Deepika faltered against the 18-year-old qualifier 7-11, 11-5, 7-11 to lose in 48 minutes.
The 22-year-old Deepika was celebrating the biggest Tour final of her career - while world junior champion El Sherbini was continuing the form of her life which had seen the youngster reach last month`s WSA World Championship final after upsetting world No 1 Nicol David.
The Chennai girl had earlier packed off eighth-ranked Madeline Perry in the semi-final but failed against the 13th-ranked Egyptian.
The match brought to a climax a sensational week for El Sherbini of Alexandria, who removed three seeds - including Malaysia`s event favourite and world No7 Low Wee Wern - en-route to the final of the WSA Gold 50 event at The Downtown Club at the Met.
El Sherbini was quick share her joy with her Facebook fans. "So happy to win my 4th and my biggest title in my career in the Texas Open -it`s been an amazing week here started from the first round of the qualification," she posted on her facebook page.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Lawless UP: Dalit couple hacked to death for Rs 15 in Mulayam Singh Yadav's bastion Mainpuri
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD