Deepika Pallikal loses in Texas Open final
Houston (USA): Deepika Pallikal stumbled on the final hurdle against Egyptian teenager Nour El Sherbini in the title clash of the Women`s Champion Fiberglass Texas Open on Saturday.
Eyeing maiden major title of her career, world No 12 Deepika faltered against the 18-year-old qualifier 7-11, 11-5, 7-11 to lose in 48 minutes.
The 22-year-old Deepika was celebrating the biggest Tour final of her career - while world junior champion El Sherbini was continuing the form of her life which had seen the youngster reach last month`s WSA World Championship final after upsetting world No 1 Nicol David.
The Chennai girl had earlier packed off eighth-ranked Madeline Perry in the semi-final but failed against the 13th-ranked Egyptian.
The match brought to a climax a sensational week for El Sherbini of Alexandria, who removed three seeds - including Malaysia`s event favourite and world No7 Low Wee Wern - en-route to the final of the WSA Gold 50 event at The Downtown Club at the Met.
El Sherbini was quick share her joy with her Facebook fans. "So happy to win my 4th and my biggest title in my career in the Texas Open -it`s been an amazing week here started from the first round of the qualification," she posted on her facebook page.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre