Deepika Pallikal loses in Texas Open final
Houston (USA): Deepika Pallikal stumbled on the final hurdle against Egyptian teenager Nour El Sherbini in the title clash of the Women`s Champion Fiberglass Texas Open on Saturday.
Eyeing maiden major title of her career, world No 12 Deepika faltered against the 18-year-old qualifier 7-11, 11-5, 7-11 to lose in 48 minutes.
The 22-year-old Deepika was celebrating the biggest Tour final of her career - while world junior champion El Sherbini was continuing the form of her life which had seen the youngster reach last month`s WSA World Championship final after upsetting world No 1 Nicol David.
The Chennai girl had earlier packed off eighth-ranked Madeline Perry in the semi-final but failed against the 13th-ranked Egyptian.
The match brought to a climax a sensational week for El Sherbini of Alexandria, who removed three seeds - including Malaysia`s event favourite and world No7 Low Wee Wern - en-route to the final of the WSA Gold 50 event at The Downtown Club at the Met.
El Sherbini was quick share her joy with her Facebook fans. "So happy to win my 4th and my biggest title in my career in the Texas Open -it`s been an amazing week here started from the first round of the qualification," she posted on her facebook page.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'