Deepika stunned by Buriuly in recurve
New Delhi: Ace archer Deepika Kumari was on Sunday shocked by Rimil Buriuly in the gold medal match of women`s recurve event at the 3rd National Ranking Archery Tournament held at the Yamuna Sports Complex here.
In a see-saw battle, the 19-year-old was beaten in the tie shootout 2-0 2-0 0-2 0-2 1-1 (10-10) as Rimil`s shot was closer to the centre.
Initially Deepika, representing Steel Plant Sports Board, took a two-set lead. But Rimil held her nerve and fought back by winning the next two sets. In the deciding set the points were tied. In the tie shoot both the archers hit a ten pointer but Rimil`s shot was closer to the centre.
"I am happy with my performance. The weather condition was hot and humid. This effect on the performance especially we came into the event straight after the 2nd leg of World cup where weather condition was cold," Rimil told PTI.
Rimil, representing Railway Sports Promotion Board, made it clear that beating Deepika or any individual was not her target. She just wanted to excel and fight till the last.
In the men`s recurve event, Atanu Das won the gold medal by beating Tarundeep Rai by six sets to four.
Tarundeep, representing "Services Sports Control Board" lost to Atanu 4-6 in a mouth-watering final event.
"It was difficult to acclimatize to the weather conditions of Delhi as it was much cooler in Turkey where the second leg of the World Cup was held," Atanu said.
Talking about the positives of this National event, he said the facilities that were provided during the event would help the archers to cope well during International events.
In the women's compound Gold match, V Jyothi Surekha defeated Manjudha Soy, who won Silver in the Mixed compound event at Turkey.
In the Men's compound Gold medal match, Rajasthan archer Rajat Chouhan defeated Delhi boy Abhisek Verma 146-139.
In the women's recurve event, veteran Dola Banerjee defeated L Bombayla Devi 6-2 to take the third position.
In the men's event, Jayanta Talukdar who won the mixed silver with Deepika in China, thrashed Priyank 6-0.
In women's compound, Trisha Deb defeated P Lily Chanu to secure the third position. Incidentally, they had bagged the women's compound Bronze in first leg of the World Cup in China.
In the men's event, Sandeep Kumar defeated Ratan Singh in a tie shootout to secure the third position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Strike of auto and taxi unions against app-based cab services in Delhi ends
- Bihar flood toll rises to 22; 17 lakh people in 10 districts affected
- VIDEO! History-maker Kusal Mendis hits six to complete his century against Australia
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH