Deepika, Tarundeep top medal chart
Jamshedpur: Top-ranked women`s recurve archer Deepika Kumar (Jharkhand) and Tarundeep Rai (SSCB) in the men`s section topped the medal chart of FITA round on the opening day of 34th Senior National Archery Championship at Archery Ground of JRD Sports Complex here on Monday.
In the men`s 90 meter and 70 meters, Rai hit the bull`s eye to earn 323 and 339 points respectively to emerge victorious whereas Deepika scored 333 and 346 points in women`s 70 meter and 60 meters event to bag gold.
In the men`s 90 meters, Rai was followed by his team-mate Viswash, who accumulated 320 points, and Atanu Das (PSPB) finished third with 320 points. Ajay (Delhi) had given Rai a tough fight in the 70 meters event and finished a close second with 338 points while Jayanta Talukdar was third with 334 points.
Similarly, Deepika dominated the proceedings right from the start and pushed her one-time team-mate at Tata Archery Academy and former Olympian V Praneetha, now representing Gujarat, to second place. Praneetha earned 326 points from maximum 360 points whereas Reena Kumari of Jharkhand finished third with 319 points.
In the women`s 60 meter event, Deepika was followed by her team-mate Asha Rani Horo, who scored 331. Praneetha had to content with the bronze medal at 329 points. While top-ranked Talukdar (Jharkhand) won the top place in the 30 meters recurve event followed by Rai and Hurdup Tiriya (SPSB), Somnath Mondal (West Bengal) emerged champion in the 50 meter event.
Mondol, who scored 339 points in the event to bag the gold, was trailed by Talukdar (339 points) while Sanjay Boro (Assam) had to settle for bronze with 336 points.
Jharkhand`s International archer Jhano Hansda and Delhi`s Abhishek Verma topped the points chart in the women and men`s compound sections of the championship that kicked off at main JRD Sports Complex.
Hansdah scored highest with 689 points out of 720 points to emerge winner in the 50 meters event. Hansdah had to sweat it out as her Manipuri opponent P Lily Chanu put up a stiff challenge but fell one short of the Jharkhand archer.
Ramandeep Kaur of Punjab finished third at 684 points.
In the men`s 50 meters compound event, Verma faced a close fight with I R Sanam (Andhra Pradesh), who got 701 points against Verma`s 702 points. International archer Ch Jignas (SSCB) finished third with 699 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!