Defending champion Ebdon, Higgins ousted from snooker China Open
Beijing: Defending champion Peter Ebdon and World No.5 John Higgins both suffered first-round exits at the World Snooker China Open on Tuesday.
Ebdon came from behind three times for 3-all before losing the last two frames to Marcus Campbell while Higgins squandered a 3-1 lead, losing to Robert Milkins 4-5. Ebdon blamed his loss to the change of the ball.
"It`s really disappointing to lose the match. The ball is so light that the shot usually goes wide. The World Snooker changed the ball recently which I cannot get used to," complained Ebdon.
Jason Ferguson, chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, refused to take Ebdon`s doubt.
"We never change the ball and we are strict on the quality of the ball throughout the season. Beijing`s climate is dry so the ball can be a little bit lighter."
Ebdon kept his slow pace and tied for 3-all after the first six scrappy frames. After safety exchanges, Campbell took the seventh frame and finally sealed the victory.
Higgins continued his lacklustre performance in recent months. In the match against Milkins, he went 3-1 up and regained a 4-3 lead with a superb 116 after 3-all, but he missed the chance for victory in the next after Milkins missed the final yellow, running out of position on the brown while Campbell clearing to the pink to force the decider.
Milkins built a 47-4 lead in the last frame and when Higgins missed a long red by several inches the Englishman added 21 to secure the result.
The World Snooker China Open, the season`s penultimate world ranking event, runs from March 25 to 31 with the participation of all the top 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre