Defending champions South Korea rout Bangladesh 8-0
Ipoh: Holders South Korea started their title defence with a resounding 8-0 win over minnows Bangladesh in their first Pool B match of the 9th Asia Cup hockey tournament here on Sunday.
For the winners, Jang Jong Hyun (31st minute, 42nd, 67th) and Hyun Hye Sung (21st, 35th) scored three and two goals respectively, while You Hyo Sik (4th), Jung Man Jae (52nd), captain Lee Sung II (69th) and Kim Young Jin (70th) each sounded the board once.
Although Korea dominated the match and had lion`s share of possession but they were far from convincing.
Bangladesh, on the other hand, were mostly busy in defending and had to thank their goalkeeper Md Zahid Hossain who denied the Koreans on numerous occasions to keep the margin of defeat on the lower side.
However, it took Korea just four minutes to break the deadlock when You Hyo Sik scored with a fierce hit from top of the Bangladeshi circle.
The Koreans doubled their lead in the 21st minute through a field goal from Hyun Hye Sung.
The Koreans were nowhere near to their best with penalty corner conversion as they utilised just four of the whopping 14 they earned in the entire match.
After wasting six penalty corners, Korea finally converted a set piece in the 31st through Jang Jong Hyun, who scored his first of the three goals of the day.
Hyun Hye Sung scored his second from a penalty corner to help Korea take a 4-0 lead at the break.
The script was the same after the change of ends as Korea pumped in five more goals to add to Bangladesh?s misery.
Jang Jong Hyun converted another penalty corner in the 42nd minute before Jung Man Jae scored a field goal to make it 6-0 in favour of the defending champions.
Jang Jong Hyun was yet again at the thick of things converting Korea`s 14th and last penalty corner before skipper Lee Sung II and Kim Young Jin scored two quick field goals in the final stages of the match to complete the rout.
Korea will next play India while Bangladesh will be up against Oman in the two Pool B matches on Monday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference