Defiant Kalmadi to face scrutiny over CWG
New Delhi: Indian Olympics Association chairman Suresh Kalmadi returned to Delhi on Sunday night. The under scrutiny CWG Organising Committee chairman was in China for the Asian Games.
“I have done nothing wrong from my end. I’m ready to face any probe, have done no wrong,” Kalmadi told reporters before entering the Parliament on Monday.
Kalmadi also said that the success of the Commonwealth Games has rubbed off well on the international sports bodies. “I have been told that India can host Olympics in the future by international sports bodies during my visit to China, Morocco and Iran,” he said.
He returns at a time when three of his closest aides - TS Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M Jayachandran - are behind bars for their alleged involvement in corrupt deals during the Queen`s Baton relay in London last year.
Kalmadi’s biggest concern, according to sources is that with Asian Games in Guangzhou drawing to a close, focus of investigations could shift to the Commonwealth Games and its mishandlings. Reports that three ex-OC officials arrested in Queen`s Baton Relay scam have been busy pointing fingers in Kalmadi`s direction cannot have increased Pune MP`s comfort levels. There is an expectation that Bhanot and other Kalmadi aides like R K Sacheti, joint director general, could be next in line for questioning by central agencies.
Meanwhile, a panel of senior IAS officers working with OC will be looking at payments due to major vendors like Agarwal Foods, Tata Motors and Australian firm Howard and Sons which was contracted for fireworks display. The Australian company has complained that its USD 300,000 dues have been held up despite successful show. But officials said contracts will be scrutinised carefully to ensure that obligations are met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday