Delhi beat Bhopal 3-1 in World Series Hockey
New Delhi: Delhi Wizards dished out a clinical performance to notch up a thrilling 3-1 victory over Bhopal Badshahs in a World Series Hockey match at the Dhyan Chand National Stadium on Thursday.
The hosts scored through K Victo Singh (4th minute), Shakeel Abbasi (11th) and Vickram Kanth (69th), while Casey Henwood (22nd) brought up the solitary goal for Bhopal in the second quarter.
With this win, Delhi took their total to 10 points with three wins, four losses and one draw.
Bhopal could not make too many shots at the goal and even though they fought hard and earned four successive penalty corners, they failing to convert any of them.
Delhi drew the first blood early in the match when Victo scored through a field goal in the fourth minute.
Pakistani centre forward Shakeel Abbasi then doubled the lead when he slotted home after getting a short pass from Philip Sunkel, who tapped the ball to him, inside the D.
Delhi made many more forays in the rival circle and made as many as three more shots at the goal and if it would not have been for an alert goalkeeper Baljit Singh, Bhopal would have conceded more goals.
In the second quarter, Bhopal reduced the margin when New Zealand midfielder Casey Henwood single-handed dogged the defenders and the goalkeeper to slip one inside the cage just five minutes after the break.
The Badshahs worked hard and had better ball possession in the third quarter but they failed to convert their moves into goals. Shakeel had some good moves and even earned a penalty corner for Delhi but Bhopal kept them at bay.
With time running out, both team made penetrations with Bhopal earning four consecutive penalty corners between 62nd to 64th minute but they squandered all the chances.
Delhi, on the other hand, made good use of a penalty corner awarded to them at the dying minutes with Kanth slapping home after Vikramjit`s stroke was stopped by the defender.
Delhi will next face Mumbai Marines at home on Monday, while Bhopal will meet Sher-E-Punjab at Jalandhar on Saturday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark