Delhi, Ranchi settle for draw in Hockey India League
New Delhi: High-flying Delhi Daredevils and second-placed Ranchi Rhinos scored a goal in each half to settle for a 2-2 draw in a hard-fought round robin match of the inaugural Hockey India League at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here today.
By virtue of the draw, both the teams pocketed two points apiece.
Unbeaten so far in the tournament, the Waveriders further consolidated their position at the top of the league standings with 34 points from eight games, while the Rhinos are closed behind at the second spot with 29 points from as many matches.
Justin Reid Ross (14th minute) and Floris Evers (61st) were the goal scorers for Ranchi. On the other hand, for Delhi, one goal came from the sticks of Simon Child (53rd) while the other was an own goal.
Today`s match was a battle between the top two sides of the tournament and as expected, it was a cracker of a contest as both the Waveriders as well as the Rhinos were in no mood to give an inch to the other.
The Rhinos, who lost 4-5 to the Waveriders in the previous face-off between the two teams, dominated possession in most part of the first quarter and looked more bright and opportunistic than their fancied rivals.
The visitor`s efforts bore fruit in the 14th minute when Reid Ross gave them the lead with a hard sweep shot from the top of the circle after being beautifully set up by a fine run from Ashley Jackson down the middle.
If it was all the Rhinos in the first quarter, the second quarter belonged entirely to the home team.
Stunned by the Ranchi`s strike, Delhi went all out attacking in the second quarter and made numerous inroads into the rival citadel from one which the home team equalised via a self goal in the 20th minute.
Thereafter, the Waveriders enjoyed the lions` share of possession with the Rhinos threatening in between.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case