Delhi to host 64th National Basketball Championship
New Delhi: The 64th National Basketball Championship for Men and Women will be organised from February 26 to March 6 at the Thyagaraj Stadium here, the BFI announced on Monday.
Defending men`s champions Uttarakhand will be hoping to repeat their last year`s stupendous performance, while Indian Railways, in the women`s section, would like to maintain their dominance and carry on with the unblemished record of last six years.
In all 51 teams, 27 men and 24 women, will participate in the country`s top most competition, to be played on league-cum-knock-out basis. Top 10 teams of the previous year ranking are grouped in Pool A and B (Level I).
The winner will take home Rs one lakh while the first and second runners-up will receive Rs 75,000 and Rs 50,000 respectively.
The rest of the teams will be playing the qualifying league in the Pools C, D, E, F for a chance to be promoted to Level 1 for the senior national championship.
NBA Hall of Fame Coach Del Harris will be a guest of honour for opening ceremony on February 26 and will be conducting a "Train The Trainers" coaching clinic during the Championship.
The national championship will also serve as a selection ground for upcoming 17th Asian Games to be held in Incheon, South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely