Delhi Waveriders edge out Punjab Warriors in HIL opener
New Delhi: Delhi Waveriders made a winning start in the inaugural Hockey India League, outsmarting the star-studded Jaypee Punjab Warriors 2-1 in the tournament opener at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here Monday.
Oskar Deecke and Gurvinder Singh Chandi scored for the Waveriders while Roger Padros earned a consolation goal for the Warriors. The home team got five points for the win.
The Delhi team, captained by Sardar Singh, looked the more cohesive lot on the field initially. Germany`s Deecke got the hosts the lead in the 14th minute with his flick from a difficult angle going in. The Warriors led by Australian star striker Jamie Dwyer did not look threatening at this moment.
Chandi extended Waveriders` lead in the 22nd minute of the second quarter. It was a one-man show from the India international, who ran in from the right flank for a solid strike that deflected off teammate Mark Knowles` stick and went into the goal.
The third quarter saw the Warriors making a comeback. The visitors looked a team with a purpose, constantly attacking the opposition half. They soon were rewarded with a life in the 43rd minute when Spaniard Roger Padros scored from a reverse flick from the right.
The Warriors created numerous chances from their on but the Waveriders managed to hold on to their advantage.
Earlier in the day, talk of the Mumbai Magicians shifting their base to Delhi following threats from Shiv Sena did the rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say