Delhi Waveriders pip Punjab Warriors 2-1 in HIL opener
New Delhi: Delhi Waveriders started their campaign on a positive note defeating Jaypee Punjab Warriors 2-1 in the opening match of the inaugural Hockey India league, at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here today.
Delhi rode on goals from Oscar Deecke and Gurvinder Singh Chandi to pocket the win, while Kieran Govers scored the lone goal for Punjab in the HIL opener which was marred by a pitch intrusion by supporters of Hindu Yuwak Sabha.
Shouting anti-Pakistan slogans, two supporters from Hindu Yuwak Sabha attempted to invade the turf in the 27th minute of the match protesting the participation of nine Pakistani players in the league in the wake of mounting tension over Pakistan army`s alleged brutal killing of two Indian soldiers recently at the Line of Control.
The two activists of youth wing of Hindu Sena were overpowered by the security officials and dragged out of the venue.
In the game, Delhi were by far the better side on display as they scored a goal each in the first two quarters (17-and-half minutes) of the opening half.
Punjab, on the other hand, looked out of sorts in the opening half as Australian Jamie Dwyer, Shivendra Singh and SV Sunil failed to combine and lacked coordination upfront.
German Deecke broke the deadlock in the 14th minute when his flick from an acute angle rolled inside the net after getting a deflection from a Delhi defender. Even though it was a self-goal by Delhi, but as per rules Deecke will be awarded the goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say