Delhi Waveriders pip Punjab Warriors 2-1 in HIL opener
New Delhi: Delhi Waveriders started their campaign on a positive note defeating Jaypee Punjab Warriors 2-1 in the opening match of the inaugural Hockey India league, at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here today.
Delhi rode on goals from Oscar Deecke and Gurvinder Singh Chandi to pocket the win, while Kieran Govers scored the lone goal for Punjab in the HIL opener which was marred by a pitch intrusion by supporters of Hindu Yuwak Sabha.
Shouting anti-Pakistan slogans, two supporters from Hindu Yuwak Sabha attempted to invade the turf in the 27th minute of the match protesting the participation of nine Pakistani players in the league in the wake of mounting tension over Pakistan army`s alleged brutal killing of two Indian soldiers recently at the Line of Control.
The two activists of youth wing of Hindu Sena were overpowered by the security officials and dragged out of the venue.
In the game, Delhi were by far the better side on display as they scored a goal each in the first two quarters (17-and-half minutes) of the opening half.
Punjab, on the other hand, looked out of sorts in the opening half as Australian Jamie Dwyer, Shivendra Singh and SV Sunil failed to combine and lacked coordination upfront.
German Deecke broke the deadlock in the 14th minute when his flick from an acute angle rolled inside the net after getting a deflection from a Delhi defender. Even though it was a self-goal by Delhi, but as per rules Deecke will be awarded the goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in