Dhankar assures India of another medal
New Delhi: Amit Kumar Dhankar assured India of one more medal after reaching the finals of the 66kg category at the Senior Asian Wrestling Championship here on Monday.
Amit, who is star Indian wrestler Sushil Kumar`s replacement in this competition, came from behind to prevail over Uzbekistan`s Ruslan Pliev to set up a gold medal bout to be played later in the day.
Ruslan won the first round in the final seconds much to the disappointment of the home crowd at the K D Jadhav Wrestling Stadium.
The Uzbek started the next round also on a high and took 2-0 lead. He further went on to tighten his grip on the match by making it 4-1.
But just when it looked the semifinal was tilted one way, Amit made a splendid comeback and completed a successful throw down in the last 30 seconds to take the match to final round.
Ruslan looked a bit in discomfort after he sustained a shoulder injury in the process.
In the last round, Amit twice dragged his opponent out of the mat to take complete control of the match. He then put on a fine display of attacking moves to take a 4-0 lead.
With 30 seconds left, injured Ruslan conceded the match as he looked in unbearable pain. Amit won the bout 0-1 4-4 4-0 and will face Mongolia`s M Ganzorig in the finals.
The hosts can expect to get another medal today as Narsingh Pancham Yadav (84kg) entered the bronze medal bout through a repechage match. He breezed past Iraq`s Ali Husham Majeed 6-0, 8-0 through technical fall.
Praveen (74kg) lost in the quarterfinals of the 74kg freestyle event, while Pravesh (96kg) failed to clear the first hurdle in the championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa