Dhankar assures India of another medal
New Delhi: Amit Kumar Dhankar assured India of one more medal after reaching the finals of the 66kg category at the Senior Asian Wrestling Championship here on Monday.
Amit, who is star Indian wrestler Sushil Kumar`s replacement in this competition, came from behind to prevail over Uzbekistan`s Ruslan Pliev to set up a gold medal bout to be played later in the day.
Ruslan won the first round in the final seconds much to the disappointment of the home crowd at the K D Jadhav Wrestling Stadium.
The Uzbek started the next round also on a high and took 2-0 lead. He further went on to tighten his grip on the match by making it 4-1.
But just when it looked the semifinal was tilted one way, Amit made a splendid comeback and completed a successful throw down in the last 30 seconds to take the match to final round.
Ruslan looked a bit in discomfort after he sustained a shoulder injury in the process.
In the last round, Amit twice dragged his opponent out of the mat to take complete control of the match. He then put on a fine display of attacking moves to take a 4-0 lead.
With 30 seconds left, injured Ruslan conceded the match as he looked in unbearable pain. Amit won the bout 0-1 4-4 4-0 and will face Mongolia`s M Ganzorig in the finals.
The hosts can expect to get another medal today as Narsingh Pancham Yadav (84kg) entered the bronze medal bout through a repechage match. He breezed past Iraq`s Ali Husham Majeed 6-0, 8-0 through technical fall.
Praveen (74kg) lost in the quarterfinals of the 74kg freestyle event, while Pravesh (96kg) failed to clear the first hurdle in the championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams