Dhanraj hails `lifeline` given to Sandeep, Sardara
Mumbai: Former India skipper Dhanraj Pillay on Saturday welcomed Hockey India`s decision to lift the two-year ban imposed on drag-flicker Sandeep Singh and mid-fielder Sardara Singh.
"I want to wish Hockey India for instantly waiving off the ban on the two players," he told reporters on the sidelines of the India International Sports Summit organized by TranStadia.
"When we won the Asian championship, I felt that the team was on the right track. One big incentive is that Sardara Singh and Sandeep Singh have been recalled," the four-time Olympian said.
Hockey India had earlier this week lifted the two-year ban imposed on Sandeep and Sardara, saying the two players were being given "a last chance" to make amends for their mistakes.
The two players were banned for two years by HI`s Disciplinary Committee for repeatedly indulging in indisciplinary acts after they quit midway the national camp in Bangalore last month ahead of the Asian Champions Trophy, citing personal reasons.
Dhanraj said the feud between Hockey India and the Indian Hockey Federation was hurting the players.
"Players are suffering due to the rivalry between Hockey India and the Indian Hockey Federation. I have requested Sports Minister Ajay Maken to find a solution to this. Because of it many players could not decide whether they should join the World Series Hockey," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks