Dhyan Chand`s 118th birth anniversary marked
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The first name that still comes to mind while talking about Indian hockey legends is of Major Dhyan Chand.
It was Dhyan Chand’s 118th birth anniversary yesterday, i.e. August 29. He is a legend, who helped India win three Olympic Gold medals in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
Also known as ‘The Wizard’ for his superb ball control, Dhyan Chand scored more than 400 goals during his international career.
His birthday is also celebrated as National Sports Day in India. And all the prestigious sports awards -- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award – are also given to sportspersons by the President on August 29 every year.
A newspaper once wrote about the legend: ‘This is not a game of hockey, but magic. Dhyan Chand is in fact the magician of hockey.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price