Dinesh in quarters, Jai bows out of World C`ships
New Delhi: Dinesh Kumar (81kg) became the first Indian pugilist to make the quarterfinals after he out-punched Romanian Costantin Bejenaru in his third round bout but it was curtains for Jai Bhagwan (60kg) at the World Boxing Championships in Milan, Italy.
Dinesh beat his rival 19-7 to set up a tough clash against Russian Artur Beterbiev, a silver medallist in the previous World Championships in 2007.
However, Asian silver medallist Jai`s campaign came to an end after a 3-9 loss to German Eugen Burhard in the pre-quarters.
Dinesh was clinical against a short but spunky opponent, who troubled the Indian with some wild swings in the opening round. But Dinesh soon took control and after closing the first round 3-2, he decimated his rival in the two rounds, picking eight points in each round.
"I fought from long range to start with and scored mostly through left-straights and uppercuts to the body. He (his opponent) was quite good but I didn`t have to struggle much because he was shorter," Dinesh told reporters from Milan.
"My next bout is obviously a tough one but I will give it my all and hopefully pull off an upset," he added.
But it was disappointment for Jai who trailed by three points in the opening round. The gap widened as the bout progressed and the Indian lost 3-9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt