Dipika Pallikal a win away from making main draw of Weymuller Open
Brooklyn (New York): India`s ace women`s squash player Dipika Pallikal thrashed Maria Toor Pakay of Pakistan in straight sets to storm into the second round of the qualifiers at the WSA Carol Weymuller Open Gold 50 event here.
Top seed in the qualifiers and world number 15, Dipika beat Maria, ranked 52nd, 11-8, 11-5, 11-3 yesterday.
The Indian will now face local hope Latasha Khan for a place in the main draw of the USD 50,000 tournament.
"I played Maria all my junior days and we always had close matches. Today, I tried twisting her and putting in cross courts and keeping her off her feet. It worked and she kept making errors at crucial points," Dipika was quoted as saying by the squashsite website.
The tournanament field includes world`s top five players, including number one Nicol David of Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself