Dipika wins but India lose title match to Egypt
Chennai: Dipika Palikal saved seven match before edging past Nour El Sherbini in a thriller but India lost 1-2 the summit clash to Egypt to end ruuners-up in the Chennai Open World Junior Cup Team championship, here on Sunday.
Ravi Dixit lost to Marwan Hossam El Shorbagy 4-11, 11-4, 7-11, 11-7 and Ramit Tandon was beaten by Karim Samy Abdel Gawad 12-10, 11-4, 6-11, 11-8 as Dipika`s hard work went in vain.
Dipika, who was the toast of the evening and cheered by a 8,000 strong holiday crowd, stood out with her superlative performance to beat Nour El Sherbini at 7-11, 11-4, 8-11, 14-12, 11-5.
After Ravi had lost his encounter to highly seeded world junior champion Marwan Hossam El Shorbagy (ranked 41), Dipika started off slowly but came back strong to win the contest.
She lost the first at 7-11 to Sherbini but she had that fire power in her to race up to a huge lead before winning the second at 11-4 in quick time.
However, Sherbini returned the compliment in the third (11-8) but the never say die attitude of Dipika helped her to stay put in the game.
Results of other matches:
Bronze medal play-off:
 ENGLAND bt  FRANCE 2-0 (Charles Sharpes bt Lucas Serme 14-12, 7-11, 5-11, 11-6, 11-5, Emily Whitlock bt Cyrielle Peltier 11-5, 11-7, 11-7, Declan James v Geoffrey Demont (match withdrawn), 5th place play-off:  HONG KONG CHINA bt  AUSTRALIA 2-0 (Yeung Ho Wai bt Jamie McErvale 4-11, 12-10, 11-7, 11-5, Tong Tsz-Wing bt Sarah Cardwell 7-11, 7-11, 11-9, 11-5, 14-12, Cheuk Yan Tang v Walter Koteka (match withdrawn) and 7th place play-off:  MALAYSIA bt  GERMANY 2-1 (Affeeq Abedeen Ismail lost to Rudi Rohrmuller 7-11, 3-11, 7-11, Rachel Arnold bt Franziska Hennes 11-13, 11-6, 6-11, 11-5, 11-7 and Sanjay Singh bt Valentin Rapp 11-4, 11-3, 11-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why