District athletics association wants free access to Berhampur stadium
Berhampur, Odisha: Ganjam district Athletic Associatoin has decided to seek permission from Odisha government to use Berhampur stadium free of cost.
The stadium, managed by the sports department, currently charges Rs 500 a day.
"We get only Rs 45,000 annually as grants from the state government. With this, we have to conduct tournaments and coaching camps. This becomes even more difficult with the stadium authorities charging Rs 500 a day," said associaton`s General Secretary, J Kameswara Rao.
The decision to approach the government was taken at a meeting of the association, presided over by district collector-cum-president Prem Chand Choudhury, recently.
Most sporting activities in the town are conducted at Berhampur stadium. Khallikote College Stadium and the medical college grounds. All of them charge a hefty fee for letting out their grounds. "We need space where such acitivities can be held free of cost," Rao said.
Almost all district athletic association have their own grounds, he said. "We request the government to construct a stadium for us", he said.
The district collector said two more stadia would soon be constructed in Berhampur, at KC Town High School and City High School. The government had sanctioned Rs 25 lakh for each, he said.
He also said coaching camps could be conducted across the district, instead of Berhampur town. The stadium has remained out of bounds for sportspersons for the last two years due to ongoing repairs. The collector asked officials to expedite the work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government