District athletics association wants free access to Berhampur stadium
Berhampur, Odisha: Ganjam district Athletic Associatoin has decided to seek permission from Odisha government to use Berhampur stadium free of cost.
The stadium, managed by the sports department, currently charges Rs 500 a day.
"We get only Rs 45,000 annually as grants from the state government. With this, we have to conduct tournaments and coaching camps. This becomes even more difficult with the stadium authorities charging Rs 500 a day," said associaton`s General Secretary, J Kameswara Rao.
The decision to approach the government was taken at a meeting of the association, presided over by district collector-cum-president Prem Chand Choudhury, recently.
Most sporting activities in the town are conducted at Berhampur stadium. Khallikote College Stadium and the medical college grounds. All of them charge a hefty fee for letting out their grounds. "We need space where such acitivities can be held free of cost," Rao said.
Almost all district athletic association have their own grounds, he said. "We request the government to construct a stadium for us", he said.
The district collector said two more stadia would soon be constructed in Berhampur, at KC Town High School and City High School. The government had sanctioned Rs 25 lakh for each, he said.
He also said coaching camps could be conducted across the district, instead of Berhampur town. The stadium has remained out of bounds for sportspersons for the last two years due to ongoing repairs. The collector asked officials to expedite the work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy