District athletics association wants free access to Berhampur stadium
Berhampur, Odisha: Ganjam district Athletic Associatoin has decided to seek permission from Odisha government to use Berhampur stadium free of cost.
The stadium, managed by the sports department, currently charges Rs 500 a day.
"We get only Rs 45,000 annually as grants from the state government. With this, we have to conduct tournaments and coaching camps. This becomes even more difficult with the stadium authorities charging Rs 500 a day," said associaton`s General Secretary, J Kameswara Rao.
The decision to approach the government was taken at a meeting of the association, presided over by district collector-cum-president Prem Chand Choudhury, recently.
Most sporting activities in the town are conducted at Berhampur stadium. Khallikote College Stadium and the medical college grounds. All of them charge a hefty fee for letting out their grounds. "We need space where such acitivities can be held free of cost," Rao said.
Almost all district athletic association have their own grounds, he said. "We request the government to construct a stadium for us", he said.
The district collector said two more stadia would soon be constructed in Berhampur, at KC Town High School and City High School. The government had sanctioned Rs 25 lakh for each, he said.
He also said coaching camps could be conducted across the district, instead of Berhampur town. The stadium has remained out of bounds for sportspersons for the last two years due to ongoing repairs. The collector asked officials to expedite the work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth