Dominant Selby surges into Masters final
London: Defending champion Mark Selby remains on course to retain his Masters crown after racing into the final with a 6-1 rout of Shaun Murphy on Saturday.
England`s Selby was in dominant form in the semi-final at London`s Alexandra Palace and will face either reigning world champion Ronnie O`Sullivan or Stephen Maguire in the final.
The world number two`s victory also avenged a 6-2 defeat against Murphy in the quarter-finals of this competition two years ago.
Selby made a strong start with an 86 break earning him the opening frame. It was 2-0 on the back of a break of 104 and that became 3-0 after Murphy had missed a red along the top cushion.
A clearance of 62 made it 4-0 after Murphy had slipped up attempting a challenging pink, and when Selby edged a scrappy fifth frame the 30-year-old was on course for a satisfying whitewash.
Although Murphy stopped the rot, taking the sixth frame 59-15, there was to be no comeback as Selby closed the door in the next frame, which he took 76-24.
O`Sullivan is due to face Maguire in the second semi-final later on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video