Don`t participate in London Olympics: Aslam Sher Khan
Bhopal: India should not participate in the London Olympics-2012 if Dow Chemicals was retained as the event`s sponsor, newly elected Olympian Association of India (OAI) president Aslam Sher Khan said on Wednesday.
Khan along with survivors of Bhopal Gas Tragedy met Indian Olympic Association (IOA) acting President Vijay Malhotra in Delhi and demanded that it register its protest with the London Olympics organizing committee over Dow sponsoring the event. Dow now owns the defunct Union Carbide plant in Bhopal from where the deadly MIC gas leaked in 1984, killing thousands of people.
The former Olympian said: "Being an Olympian, I do understand the feeling of players who work hard to participate in event like Olympics and that how important it is for their careers."
"But, being a Bhopali, I think India should not participate in London Olympics if Dow Chemicals should not be removed from sponsorship," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP