Doping hits Indian athletics ahead of Asian Championships
Pune: The Indian athletics contingent was on Tuesday hit by doping incident just a day before the start of the biennial Asian Championships with a woman shot-putter returning positive for a banned substance.
Sources in the Athletics Federation of India revealed that the dope-flunked athlete is one of the three shot-putters representing the country in the showpiece continental event which begins at Shiv Chhatrapati stadium at Balewadi Sports Complex here on Wednesday.
"She is one of the participants at the Asian Championships but I can`t reveal her identity," an official said.
Earlier in the day, the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) had revealed that a medal-winning woman shot-putter had flunked the dope test at last month`s 53rd National Interstate Senior Athletics Championship in Chennai.
NADA did not name the athlete but said her blood samples contained banned substance Methylhexaneamine.
Udaya Laxmi, Neha Singh and Navjeet Kaur Dhillon had won the gold, silver and bronze medal respectively in the women`s shot-put event in the Inter-state meet early last month.
The trio is part of the Indian athletics squad for the prestigious Asian meet.
"The medal winners in any national or international event will have to undergo mandatory dope test," said the official.
It has been learnt that the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) is expected to pull out athletes from the Championships on Wednesday.
India has the dubious distinction of the most number of athletes on the list of offenders who were caught for doping under International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) rules.
In the IAAF list of dope offenders, a whopping 40 Indian athletes figured in the list out of 204 dope offenders all over the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it