Dutchwoman Vos wins third gold in world road race
Rome: Olympic champion Marianne Vos won her third gold in the women`s road race here at the world cycling championships.
Emma Johansson of Sweden took the silver medal after beating Italy`s Rossella Ratto in a two-up sprint for the finish line of the 139.6-km race, Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Although Johansson and Ratto fought to close a gap of only a handful of seconds, it had grown to 15 seconds at the finish where Vos completed the race in three hours and 44 minutes.
"It`s great to defend the title. They always say it`s hard to win one, but to do it two times in a row is even more difficult," said Vos, the London Olympic champion.
"Until the last lap I didn`t feel too confident but on the steep climb I knew I had the chance to attack," added Vos, who was the winner of the event in 2006 and 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'