Dutee Chand eclipses National 100m women`s record
Bangalore: Dutee Chand of Orissa smashed the National and meet records with two blistering runs while winning the girls` 100 metres sprint in the 9th National Youth Athletics championship on Friday, clocking 11.85 seconds in the final, slightly slower than her 11.80 in the semi-final heat.
Chand`s timing eclipsed the National and meet record of 12.08 seconds that was set by her statemate Rengitha Mahanta two years ago.
Augustine Yesudas of Tamil Nadu emerged the fastest boy of the meet with a 10.79 seconds effort that erased the previous best of 10.93. Second and third placed Jeris Jose of Kerala (10.90) and Punjab`s Husan Deep Singh (10.92) also went under the seven-year old record.
Yesudas had clocked 10.92 seconds in the semi-final heat to improve on the Meet record before stepping up the pace in the final. However, he fell short of the National record of 10.78 set in 2005.
Kerala girl Nayana James also bettered the Meet record of 5.87m in the long jump event with an effort of 5.94 in her very first attempt while fouling three of the remaining five jumps.
Boys - 100M: Augustine Yesudas (TN) 1 (10.79secs; NMR. Old: 10.93secs); Jeris Jose (Kerala) 2 (10.90secs); Husan Deep Singh (Punj) 3 (10.92secs). 1,500 M: Muhammed Afsal (Kerala) 1 (3:59.88secs); Prem Kunj (Mah) 2 (4:00.43); Satish (Har) 3 (4:06.10). 400M Hurdles: Satish Pasala (Mah) 1 (53.01); Arjun Gangadhar (Kerala) 2 (54.09); B Kantha Rao (AP) 3 (54.61). Shot putt: Monu (Har) 1 (16.80M); Prince Upadhyay (UP) 2 (16.14M); Sairaj (Kar) 3 (15.15M). Long jump: Virender (Del) 1 (7.22M); Anbu Raja (TN) 2 (7.14M); Suraj Mandala (Kar) 3 (7.00M).
Girls - 100M: Dutee Chand (Ori) 1 (11.85secs; NNR and NMR. Old: 12.08secs); Himashree Roy (WB) 2 (12.13secs); Ruma Sarkar (WB) 3 (12.15secs). 100M Medley: West Bengal 1 (2:18.88); Kerala A 2 (2:19.56); Tamil Nadu A 3 (2:23.34). 1,500 M: Parul Chaudhary (UP) 1 (4:48.36); Komal Chaudhary (Har) 2 (4:53.43); Vipitha PD (Kerala) 3 (4:48.37). Long jump: Nayana James (Kerala) 1 (5.94M; NMR. Old: 5.87M); Jenimol Joy (Kerala) 2 (5.76M); Praneetha Pradeep (Kar) 3 (5.74M). Shot putt: Rakhi (Har) 1 (13.77M); Subhashini (TN) 2 (12.77M); Ranjana Narayan Badri (Kar) 3 (11.82M).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP