Easy openers for Saurav, Joshna
New Delhi: India`s top squash players Saurav
Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa have got easy draws in the singles
event of the Commonwealth Games from October 3-14.
Saurav, who is seeded 11th will meet unseeded Ugandan Ian
Rukunya in the first round while 15th seed Joshna will be up
against unseeded Malaysian Sharon Wee.
Hosts India are expected to win their first ever medal in
squash if the women`s doubles where Joshna Chinappa and Dipika
Pallikal have been seeded second.
Malaysian Nicol David, who celebrated her 50th successive
month as world number one this month, is the firm favourite to
win the women`s singles gold medal for the first time - while
Englishman Nick Matthew, the world number two, is top seed in
the men`s individual event, according to the draws announced
today by the World Squash Federation.
England, Australia and Malaysia are expected to share the
maximum gold medals at the event to be played at the superb
new eleven-court Siri Fort Squash Complex -- which features an
all-glass centre court -- from October 4-13.
As the seeding suggests, the remaining singles medals
may be England`s - with James Willstrop, the world number
six, who was runner-up in this week`s British Grand Prix in
Manchester, winning silver and Peter Barker bronze.
World number two Jenny Duncalf is seeded to be runner-up
in the women`s individual event, while her England team-mate
Alison Waters is the bronze prediction.
Yorkshireman Nick Matthew teams up with Londoner Adrian
Grant for the Men`s Doubles, in which a gold medal is
predicted for the English pair.
But Australia are expected to win gold in both the
Women`s and Mixed Doubles - with New South Wales`s Kasey Brown
lining up with Donna Urquhart as favourites in the women`s
event, and teaming up with Cameron Pilley, also from NSW, as
top seeds in the mixed championship.
Draws: (only Indians)
Men`s Singles 1st round draw:
Siddharth Suchde (IND) v Michael Hopkins (JEY)
 Ryan Cuskelly (AUS) v Sandeep Jangra (IND)
 Saurav Ghosal (IND) v Ian Rukunya (UGA)
Harinder Pal Sandhu (IND) v Shopon Pervez (BAN)
Women`s Singles 1st round draw:
 Joshna Chinappa (IND) v Sharon Wee (MAS)
 Alana Miller (CAN) v Anwesha Reddy (IND)
 Dipika Pallikal (IND) v Natalie Dodd (GGY) or Stephanie
 Sarah Kippax (ENG) v Anaka Alankamony (IND).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part IV
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- Narsingh Yadav Doping Scandal: Wrestler's food was spiked by an intruder, reveals hostel cook
- Chhattisgarh using only its share of Mahanadi water: Raman Singh
- Assembly elections: AAP to release 'Dalit Manifestos' in Punjab, Gujarat, Goa
- Kolkata teenager's death: Police look for answers
- SP government not following Lohia, women unsafe in UP: Nitish