Easy wins for Indian teams at Kabaddi World Cup
Hoshiarpur: Indian men registered their second win of the 2013 Kabaddi World Cup as they breezed past Spain in their group match while women`s team defeated Kenya in an easy encounter here on Tuesday.
India beat Spain 55-27 in their Pool A match at the Lajwanti Stadium. The Indian eves overwhelmed Kenya 56-21 to bag their second win in as many matches.
The men`s team will now take on Kenya on December 5 while their female counterparts will face United States on December 7.
Twelve nations are participating in the men`s section and women`s competition has eight teams in fray. The fourth edition was inaugurated by Punjab Education Minister Sikander Singh Maluka at outdoor stadium Hoshiarpur and was introduced to the players of all the participating teams.
Speaking on the occasion, Maluka said that due to the efforts of the Punjab government Kabaddi has now got international status. He said that Punjab was laying more stress on sports and the budget of sports department has been enhanced to Rs 142 crore from the earlier budget of Rs 12 crore.
He said that his government has enhanced the prize money for Olympic gold winner to Rs 2.5 crores from Rs one crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'