Efimova wins gold in women`s 50m breaststroke
Barcelona: Yuliya Efimova ended her personal battle with Lithuania`s Ruta Meiliutyte when she took the gold medal in the women`s 50 metres breaststroke in the world championships held here.
Efimova, who won gold in the 100m breaststroke earlier in the week, had broken the 50m world record in Saturday`s heats, only for Meiliutyte to set a new world best of 29.48 in the semifinals in the afternoon, reports Xinhua.
With two world records falling in a matter of hours, Sunday`s race was always going to be a fast one and Efimova was able to finish stronger after Meiliutyte had got the brighter start.
Her time of 29.52 was just 0.04 of a second off Meiliutyte`s world record, but it was worth a gold medal as she finished 0.07 ahead of the 16-year-old with Jessica Hardy, who had held the world record before racing began Saturday, taking the bronze medal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH