Efimova wins gold in women`s 50m breaststroke
Barcelona: Yuliya Efimova ended her personal battle with Lithuania`s Ruta Meiliutyte when she took the gold medal in the women`s 50 metres breaststroke in the world championships held here.
Efimova, who won gold in the 100m breaststroke earlier in the week, had broken the 50m world record in Saturday`s heats, only for Meiliutyte to set a new world best of 29.48 in the semifinals in the afternoon, reports Xinhua.
With two world records falling in a matter of hours, Sunday`s race was always going to be a fast one and Efimova was able to finish stronger after Meiliutyte had got the brighter start.
Her time of 29.52 was just 0.04 of a second off Meiliutyte`s world record, but it was worth a gold medal as she finished 0.07 ahead of the 16-year-old with Jessica Hardy, who had held the world record before racing began Saturday, taking the bronze medal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'