Eight Russian athletes banned for doping
Moscow: Six Russian male weightlifters and two female cyclists have been banned for breaking anti-doping regulations.
"The Russian Weightlifting Federation (RWF), on the basis of RUSADA decisions, decided to suspend six athletes for doping violations," the country`s anti-doping agency said on its website (www.rusada.ru) on Tuesday.
Evgeny Kolomiets and Yury Selyutin were banned for 10 years, starting in October 2013, for repeated abuse.
Mikhail Reznitchenko, Tejmur Alekserov and Dmitry Srybnyi were suspended for two years while Oleg Musokhranov was banned for three months, starting on November 7, 2013.
Cyclists Elena Bocharinkova and Yana Bezrukova were also suspended for two years from July 10, 2013, RUSADA said without elaborating.
In April the RWF banned eight weightlifters for breaking anti-doping regulations.
Denis Shiryakov was suspended for life and Maxim Matveyev for four years while six others were banned for up to two years.
Russia has been forced to step up its fight against doping in recent months after being criticised by international anti-doping officials for being too soft on drug cheats.
Several years ago the International Weightlifting Federation threatened to ban the country from major championships after a number of Russians failed drug tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani
- Hizb commander who blasted Kashmir telecom towers killed
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video