New Delhi: Suspecting a foul play, CWG Organising Committee has ordered an internal enquiry to trace those responsible for wiping out crucial vigilance related
information from the computer of its Chief Vigilance Officer.
"We have already ordered an internal enquiry into the matter (tampering of computer data). We will take necessary action accordingly," OC Chief Executive Officer Jarnail Singh said.
According to the official, information on the computer of Gurjot Kaur, an Indian Defence Accounts Service Officer, was illegally removed from the system on April 24.
The information was regarding tenders, correspondences and findings of investigating agencies like CBI, CVC, CAG, Income Tax department and Enforcement Directorate among others over alleged irregularities in several Games related projects.
Kaur was appointed in the Commonwealth Games (CWG) organising body last year and was acting as the nodal officer to coordinate with all probing agencies on vigilance matters.
"There were certain files which have been removed. Basically they had information on different correspondences made between different agencies like CVC," Singh said.
However, he maintained, there was no loss of data from the incident as it was alternatively saved on a different computer.
"We have restored the loss data. It was saved with us on a different computer," the CEO said, adding that strict action will be taken against the erring officials.
Singh did not divulge further information. Another senior OC official said that they were monitoring the CCTV footage and claimed to have zeroed in on to the accused.
Meanwhile, the CVC has also taken cognisance of the incident and sought a report from the OC in this regard. "The incident cites vulnerability of the crucial data at the OC. We have asked OC to step up measures to check re-occurrence of such things," a CVC official said.
Games Organising Committee is under attack for many Games related financial and managerial lapses.
CBI has registered nine cases on alleged corruption and criminal collusion in Games related works that caused loss worth crores to the exchequer. It has also arrested sacked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi in one of the cases being probed by it.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appointed high level Shunglu Committee has also pointed out several lapses in OC and alleged inadequacies in the works carried out by the Games body for the mega sporting event held here between October 3-14 last year.