Ethics cannot be compromised, says Mahesh Bhupathi
New Delhi: Tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi on Thursday threw his weight behind a campaign, seeking good governance in Indian sports, saying that ethics in sport and sports administration are "non-negotiable".
Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and other athletes launched an online campaign to free IOA of corruption.
IOC wants Indian Olympic Association to amend its constitution so that people with criminal charges against them are not eligible to contest elections even as the IOA is not keen to do that. IOA is ready to bar only convicted people from contesting elections.
"Ethics in sport and sports administration are non-negotiable, and cannot be `compromised` in any manner whatsoever. As long as sport in this country is not governed in an ethical and fair manner, I strongly believe this ban will, rightly so, continue to stay," Bhupathi, who is also part of the campaign, said in a statement.
"I am proud of the sporting community in India for joining forces in standing up for what we all believe is right - fair representation, good governance and just treatment of sports and sports people.
"Abhinav spearheaded this campaign to show solidarity in our beliefs and it is encouraging to see that the campaign has not only gained momentum amongst sportspersons, but also the masses. This is a baby step in the right direction and we look forward on building from here," Bhupathi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!