Ex-UCI boss vehemently denies backing ‘banned’ Armstrong in doping row
Johannesburg: Former International Cycling Union (UCI) boss Hein Verbruggen has strongly dismissed a report in a Dutch newspaper on Thursday that claimed he still supported dishonored cycling icon Lance Armstrong in the doping scandal.
Verbruggen, who was UCI president from 1991 to 2005, during the time of Armstrong`s seven consecutive Tour de France wins, was quoted in De Telegraaf as saying: “Lance Armstrong has never been tested positive including by the USADA (the US Anti-Doping Agency)."
“There is therefore not a trace of proof,” Verbruggen, who is now UCI honorary president, allegedly told the Dutch paper.
However Verbruggen issued a strong-worded statement criticising the ‘tone of De Telegraaf`s article which unjustly states that despite USADA`s dossier I still insist there is no proof’ against Armstrong.
Verbruggen also dismissed comments in which he allegedly criticised Kathy LeMond, the outspoken wife of three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond.
The Dutch paper claimed LeMond accused Verbruggen earlier this week of taking a bribe offered by Nike in 1999 to make a positive dope test by Armstrong disappear, a claim which Verbruggen then claimed was so absurd it was not worth an official statement.
“While the impression was made that it was about a full interview, I just sent the said gentlemen (at De Telegraaf) a few SMSs (text messages),” Sports24 quoted Verbruggen, as saying in an official UCI statement.
“I was merely reacting to Mrs. LeMond`s statement. My singular and only reaction was that Lance Armstrong has never tested positive by a drug laboratory, that there was no positive test and therefore it not could have been hidden,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks