Ex-world cycling champion Rasmussen gets 18-month ban
Paris: Former track cycling world champion Alex Rasmussen of Denmark was banned for 18 months because he missed two doping tests, announced the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
The CAS Wednesday acted on an appeal by cycling`s governing body the UCI to acquit the rider on the basis of what they perceived as a procedural mistake made by the UCI.
The UCI had called for a two-year ban on the cyclist after he had missed two tests and failed to give sufficient details about his whereabouts for a third check.
The CAS upheld the UCI`s appeal, maintaining that its procedural error relating to a delay in communication had no bearing on the fact that the 28-year-old rider had missed the tests.
Rasmussen won four world titles before turning professional.
Rasmussen joined American pro-cycling team Garmin last August and competed in this year`s Tour of Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources