Experience vs youth as World Ch`ship match set to begin
Chennai: Indian chess wizard Viswanathan Anand faces a stern test in defending his world title against a young Magnus Carlsen as one of the most awaited World Chess Championship match in the recent history of the game begins here from Saturday.
In terms of the hype, the match between five-time champion Anand and 22-year-old Norwegian sensation is comparable to the historic clash between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky way back in 1972.
In all, 12 games will be played in the match under Classical system in which both players will get 120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 and the 15 minutes for the remaining game with an increment of 30 seconds per move effective from the 61st move.
The first to score 6.5 points will win the match and the remaining games will not be played should it happen before the 12th game. The winner will take home 60% of the prize fund.
In case of a tied score after twelve games, games of shorter duration will be played to determine the winner. However, if the tiebreak stage is reached the winner will get 55% of the total prize at stake.
The match will be officially opened today by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. It may be recalled that the Tamil Nadu Government is the official sponsors of the match and have given a cap of Rs. 29 Crore as the total budget which is inclusive of a prize fund of around Rs. 14 Crores.
The first game will be played at the Hyatt on Saturday. The players will play two games on the trot followed by a rest day till the 10th game and for the last two games there is rest day after each game. If needed, the tiebreak games will be played on 28th November followed by the closing ceremony.
There is a special illness clause which can delay the match. In case a player reports sick, he has the right to postponement for a day. However, chances of it being used are minimal unless, health wise, something drastically goes wrong for either player.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert