Female boxers can now either wear shorts or skirts in Olympics
London: Female boxers at the London Olympics will be allowed to wear either shorts or a skirt under a new amendment to amateur boxing rules. On Thursday,
The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) published the changes regarding the updated ruled on its website.
In a new sentence in the Competition Uniform section, AIBA says female boxers will wear ‘either shorts or the option of a skirt.’
The new rule specifies no particular length for the skirt. AIBA faced international criticism and sexism charges in recent months when officials debated whether to ask women`s boxers to wear skirts in competition AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo said he had heard from fans who couldn`t tell women from men when fighters wore protective headgear.
Although AIBA insisted it never contemplated requiring boxers to wear skirts, its debate of the issue infuriated women`s rights advocates in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown