Female boxers can now either wear shorts or skirts in Olympics
London: Female boxers at the London Olympics will be allowed to wear either shorts or a skirt under a new amendment to amateur boxing rules. On Thursday,
The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) published the changes regarding the updated ruled on its website.
In a new sentence in the Competition Uniform section, AIBA says female boxers will wear ‘either shorts or the option of a skirt.’
The new rule specifies no particular length for the skirt. AIBA faced international criticism and sexism charges in recent months when officials debated whether to ask women`s boxers to wear skirts in competition AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo said he had heard from fans who couldn`t tell women from men when fighters wore protective headgear.
Although AIBA insisted it never contemplated requiring boxers to wear skirts, its debate of the issue infuriated women`s rights advocates in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'