FIH confirms Malaysia`s participation in World Cup
New Delhi: FIH on Monday confirmed that Malaysian men`s team has qualified for the 2014 Hockey World Cup, to be held in The Hague, Netherlands.
"Malaysia`s berth at the summer spectacular was guaranteed following Korea?s dramatic 4-3 triumph over India in the final of the men?s Asia Cup 2013 in Ipoh (MAS)," an FIH release said.
Like all of the continental championships, the big prize on offer at the Asia Cup was direct World Cup qualification to the event winner. However, with Korea having recently been promoted from first reserves to confirmed World Cup qualifiers thanks to Argentina?s victory in the Pan American Cup, the door was opened to the other reserves for the tournament.
Last weekend, second reserves Spain were confirmed for the event courtesy of Germany?s success in TriFinance EuroHockey Championships, meaning that third reserves Malaysia become the team to benefit from Korea?s Asia Cup victory.
Malaysia are the tenth men?s team to qualify for the Rabobank Hockey World Cup, with two more places up for grabs at the upcoming continental championships in Oceania and Africa.
Eight women?s teams have also been confirmed for the event, with the remaining places going to the winners of the Asian, Oceania, Pan American and African continental championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated