FIH denies recognising IHF
New Delhi: The International Hockey Federation (FIH) has rejected reports that it has given affiliation to the rebel IHF, insisting that Hockey India remains the sole recognised body to run the sport in the country.
In a letter addressed to Hockey India Secretary General Narinder Batra, FIH Chief Executive Kelly Fairweather said there was no truth to media reports that IHF has been recognised.
"I wish to confirm that Hockey India is the FIH`s member for India. It is therefore quite wrong to suggest that the FIH recognises the IHF as `its representative in India`," the letter stated.
"The IHF has not been the FIH`s member for India since 2000. Since 2011, however, it has argued that it should be recognised as the FIH`s member for India instead of Hockey India," it added.
"Earlier this year, therefore, the FIH invited the IHF to substantiate its claim that it meets the criteria for membership set out in the FIH Statutes and that Hockey India does not, including by getting the endorsement of the Indian Olympic Association that is required under the FIH Statutes."
The FIH said given that the IHF has not been able to convince the governing body, HI would remain the sole representative of Indian hockey.
"...The FIH made it clear that unless and until the IHF could make such a showing, the status quo would stand, i.e., Hockey India would continue to be recognised as the FIH`s member.
"The IHF agreed to this proposal and duly sought the endorsement of the IOA. However, when the IOA announced that it endorses Hockey India (and not the IHF) as the central authority for hockey in India, the IHF went to court in India to challenge that decision, alleging bias on the part of the IOA.
"The court has set that challenge for trial in March 2013 and in the meantime has ordered that the status quo be maintained. And, as noted above, that status quo is that it is Hockey India (and not the IHF) that is recognised as the FIH`s member for India."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH