FIH green nod for WSH only if HI, IHF unite
New Delhi: Just two days are left for its start but the World Series Hockey continues to remain in a limbo as the FIH today said it cannot give sanction to the lucrative league until the two warring factions – Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation -- reach an agreement.
While appreciating the need for a professional league in the country, FIH president Leandro Negre gave both HI and IHF one month`s time to resolve their issues and unite.
"We are acting as a mediator between HI and IHF. We are listening to both the sides and trying to find a solution. We tried our best to reach an agreement and had a very good discussions with both parties," said Negre, who met both HI and IHF office bearers during the just-concluded London Olympic Qualifiers here.
"We were very close to reaching a solution but there are very small disputes which need to be sorted out. So, we have given both the parties one month`s time to come together," he said.
"But till an agreement is reached, WSH remains an unsanctioned event for us. They still have one month to find a solution and the FIH will do its best to settle the problem," Negre reiterated.
Negre said they are not against WSH but the tournament should be held under HI`s aegis to get recognition.
"We are not against the concept of WSH. There is need for a strong professional league in India. But we can only sanction tournaments (domestic or international) organised by HI as FIH doesn`t recognise IHF," he maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray