FIH green nod for WSH only if HI, IHF unite
New Delhi: Just two days are left for its start but the World Series Hockey continues to remain in a limbo as the FIH today said it cannot give sanction to the lucrative league until the two warring factions – Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation -- reach an agreement.
While appreciating the need for a professional league in the country, FIH president Leandro Negre gave both HI and IHF one month`s time to resolve their issues and unite.
"We are acting as a mediator between HI and IHF. We are listening to both the sides and trying to find a solution. We tried our best to reach an agreement and had a very good discussions with both parties," said Negre, who met both HI and IHF office bearers during the just-concluded London Olympic Qualifiers here.
"We were very close to reaching a solution but there are very small disputes which need to be sorted out. So, we have given both the parties one month`s time to come together," he said.
"But till an agreement is reached, WSH remains an unsanctioned event for us. They still have one month to find a solution and the FIH will do its best to settle the problem," Negre reiterated.
Negre said they are not against WSH but the tournament should be held under HI`s aegis to get recognition.
"We are not against the concept of WSH. There is need for a strong professional league in India. But we can only sanction tournaments (domestic or international) organised by HI as FIH doesn`t recognise IHF," he maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users