Flop show from Indian wrestlers on final day at junior worlds
New Delhi: Indian freestyle grapplers disappointed on the final day of the World Junior Wrestling Championships as they failed to go the past second round in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Dinesh Kumar (66kg), Ajit Singh (84kg) and Surjeet (120kg), who won their opening bouts with relative ease, all lost to Azerbaijan opponents in the next contest of their respective weight categories to crash out of the competition.
Devender Kumar, however, made it to the third round of the 55kg category before going down to Armenia`s Artak Hovhannisyan in a closely fought duel at Arena Armeetz.
India finished at the 11th position in the freestyle team rankings with 14 points, which were dominated by Russian wrestlers (64) followed by Iran (52).
Only, 96kg grappler Satywart Kadian could manage a podium finish for the Indians. The 2010 Youth Olympic Games won a bronze medal on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next