Flop show from Indian wrestlers on final day at junior worlds
New Delhi: Indian freestyle grapplers disappointed on the final day of the World Junior Wrestling Championships as they failed to go the past second round in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Dinesh Kumar (66kg), Ajit Singh (84kg) and Surjeet (120kg), who won their opening bouts with relative ease, all lost to Azerbaijan opponents in the next contest of their respective weight categories to crash out of the competition.
Devender Kumar, however, made it to the third round of the 55kg category before going down to Armenia`s Artak Hovhannisyan in a closely fought duel at Arena Armeetz.
India finished at the 11th position in the freestyle team rankings with 14 points, which were dominated by Russian wrestlers (64) followed by Iran (52).
Only, 96kg grappler Satywart Kadian could manage a podium finish for the Indians. The 2010 Youth Olympic Games won a bronze medal on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on