Florence Kiplagat warms up for Chicago Marathon in style
Nairobi: Kenya`s Commonwealth Games 10,000 metres silver medallist Florence Kiplagat warmed up in style for the 2014 Chicago Marathon slated for Oct 12 with a stunning win at the County Pensions Fund (CPF) Nairobi Diamond 10-km run.
Kiplagat finished the 10-km course in a time of 31:42.0 to win prize money of $3,000 and a diamond with an undeclared value here Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Irene Chebet was placed second in a time of 31:45.0 whereas third place went to Alice Aprot who stopped the clock in 31.46:0.
"I missed competing at the African Championships in Marrakech, Morocco, because of visa problems and I was happy to have a race in Nairobi to do speed work," Kiplagat said during a post-race interview.
"I have been competing in many races and so I have experience that is why I could manage to outpace my rivals in the last 300m," she said.
The 27-year-old Kenyan is the current world record holder of the women`s half marathon with a time of 1:05.12 and has represented Kenya in many events from cross country to marathon.
"This will be the first time for me to compete at the Chicago Marathon. I am preparing myself adequately," Kiplagat said.
In the men`s event Amos Kiplimo took first position in a time of 27:42.0, followed by Edwin Kiptoo Rop who clocked 27:43.7 while Vincent Yator took third position clocking 27:44.6.
"I had only run two competitive races in my running career and I am treating this competition as a launching pad for my arrival," said the 23-year-old Kiplimo, who also took home the winner`s purse and the cut diamond, said.
Race director Barnaba Korir said the idea of the race is to bring the Diamond Runs to Kenya to add to the 14 others across the globe.
"The County Pension Fund, the main sponsor for the event, aims at creating a retirement fund for athletes as a cushion," Korir said of the inaugural meet, which attracted over 1,400 participants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends