Former top shuttler Ami feels IBL would benefit youngsters
Mumbai: Seven-time women`s national singles badminton champion Ami Ghia Shah today praised the concept of the IPL-style Indian Badminton League (IBL), saying young shuttlers would benefit a lot by rubbing shoulders with top players from overseas.
The Arjuna award winner and former international, who captured her singles crowns from 1976 to `79 in a row, said Indian players could observe their international counterparts and learn from them.
"It will help the Indian players. There are foreigners who are playing. Not all Indian players are fielded by the teams in the matches, but still it will definitely help them to improve their standard of game by watching (the top players)," 56-year-old Ami told PTI today.
This is the first edition so probably there would be few hiccups (with not all players being able to play). I am sure in the long run it should help. Being part of the team also, you learn a lot observing how the senior players train and play. I am sure its going to help them," she said.
Ami, who won her last women`s singles crown in 1983, also praised rising shuttler P V Sindhu for her performance in the World Championship at Guangzhou where the Hyderabad teenager became India`s first medallist in women`s singles.
"It is very creditable to defeat two top Chinese players. I am sure it will add to her confidence in time to come," she said.
Sindhu shocked world no 2 Wang Yihan and no 7 Wang Shixian to ensure a bronze medal before losing to eventual champion Ratchanok Inthanon of Thailand in the semifinals.
Ami was of the opinion that with two Indian women now in the top rung of world badminton, would increase the popularity of the racquet sport in the country.
"I think it is the right step towards improvement of the game because if there are more than one player representing (the country) at high levels, it is definitely good for Indian badminton," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof